Monday, May 30, 2011

Handcuffs and Cops

Okay, so we have yet to blog about our actual patient care (work), just the awesome places we have visited (our vacay).  Apparently some people think we are out here only on vacay, so let me tell you about one wild night at work.:)

My friend Edwin told me my blogs are too long and boring, so I will make this one short and sweet!  About two weeks ago, our night started out pretty normal: we had our  night "huddle", got report and got started. Having prisoners is a very common occurrence at this hospital. Well one particular prisoner was very unhappy with his care for the day, and decided he was going to "go off the deep end." Susan, our charge nurse, was kicked out of his room and "fired" from being his nurse, after he used a few thousand f-bombs on her, so his amazing self got passed on to Hayley.  Hayley didn't even set both feet in the door before she got cussed and kicked out. Each prisoner has 2 guards at the bedside at all times, has shackles to both feet and hands, as well as a chain around his waste hooked to the hand shackles. How this prisoner managed to get out of his handcuffs, I'm not sure, but the guard pulled his gun!  Talk about craziness!!  The Goodyear police department was called, and no lie, I think about 8-10 cops showed up (Hayley I think fell in love a couple of times, haha just kidding).  Was that really necessary?  I think not.  One of the cops even had an AK-47 (okay not really sure what kind of gun it was, but it was HUGE!)  It's not like this lunatic had any kind of weapon or anything. So eventually they calmed the guy down, and sent him to isolation.  Oh yeah, I forgot, our director got scared and decided to lock himself in his office.  Geez what a night!  So, that is one of our more crazy nights.

~Hayley and Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment